Monday, 19 October 2009

Music of the Moment

Well it's been a hot minute, hasn't it? That would be because I am a) busy with my new job and b) busy being a hot mess. Every day is its own epoch at the moment, entirely separate from the one before and the one following. As my therapist said, this is what trauma looks like, when you're first starting to deal with it. (If you're a serious reader-of-mine and want more on this, check out the sidebar on the uncensored blog; though fair warning, I haven't updated there in a while either.)

One thing that's consistently getting me through right now is music. In fact when I don't have any appetite for any music at all, that's a sign that things are really seriously bad. And so, with LL Cool Joe in mind, I thought I'd share with you my top songs at the moment. Too lazy to link but check 'em out at Pandora or lastfm or blip or whatever. They're worth it. They're helping to keep my head above water.

Antony & the Johnsons
*"Cripple & the Starfish". I think this is a song about BDSM. That's how I interpret it anyway. It's hauntingly lovely, like most of their stuff, and carries a message of survival for me too.]
*"Atrocities" Featured in the excellent movie "Otto or Up with Dead People" and just absurdly beautiful.

Arcade Fire
*"(Antichrist Television Blues)" A manic ballad from the point of view of a manipulative, abusive, haunted parent.

Beirut
*"Nantes"

Bryan Adams
*"(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" Don't ask. Just know that this is twisted around in every way possible in my head. It came on the radio twice on a recent late night drive and it was serious catharsis. Not parting with $1.29 to buy it on iTunes though.

The Cliks
*"Dirty King" Don't just play this on your computer. Find some speakers that can let you appreciate the bass line. It's good.

Delta 5
*"Mind Your Own Business" Female punk rockers from England back in the day. The lyrics are not a covert message to you, dear readers, never fear.

Echo & the Bunnymen
*"Bring on the Dancing Horses" Hoping to catch them live this fall...

The Fiery Furnaces
*I love pretty much their whole album "Bitter Tea". This is the essence of my life right now, the very marrow of how I feel. Particular highlights: "In My Little Thatched Hut", "Black-Hearted Boy", "Bitter Tea", and "The Vietnamese Telephone Ministry".
*"The End is Near" off their most recent album. Don't dismiss it without giving the nasty, bitter lyrics a good listen. Love it like crazy.

The Go-Betweens
*"Love Goes On!" and "Quiet Heart" especially, from 16 Lovers Lane.

Joy Division
*As ever. Especially "Atmosphere" and, of course, "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

k.d. lang
*"Hallelujah". Always.

The Kills
*Still getting a lot of mileage out of "Midnight Boom". "Goodnight Bad Morning" is one of my main go-to songs when I need to be rocked out of the worst places.

M.I.A.
*"Paper Planes". They wuz robbed. One of the few songs that always makes me smile.

The Ramones
*"I Wanna Be Sedated". 'Nuff said.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
*Still enjoying "It's Blitz!" especially "Zero" and "Softshock".

10,000 Maniacs
*"What's the Matter Here". My dad gave me "In My Tribe" (on cassette) when I was about 8. I listened to this, the first track, over and over again. Still in love with Natalie Merchant and her amazing voice.

5 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh yeah I agree with you, when music no longer thrills, inspires and raises the blood pressure slightly, then something is seriously wrong.

Your taste in music may be very different from mine, but the end results are the same. :)

Paper Planes is a wonderful song. The Bryan Adams song has been so over played that I can't stand to hear it anymore, a bit like Whitney's "I Will Always Love You". Great songs that just get ruined by too much airplay!

greg said...

Very cool! I love to know what other people are listening too. Great list.

Miss Emily said...

I think everyone should do this. I need music. I need something new. I almost cried when I heard that very first song on your list. It sounds like survival for me, too.

Jess said...

I'm going to have to check these out. I can't wait to see you this weekend and hope we get a chance to talk a bit abt schtuff :)

word verification:
whant

canihelpyousir.com said...

I love the music update. I crave music, so I always love hearing what moves other people. I hope you don't mind, but I'm borrowing this idea for a post today. Thanks for sharing it.