Tuesday, 22 September 2009

If Only to Reassure LLCoolJoe...

... I thought I'd update you all on how things are going in the non-passworded portions of my life.

I think I'm taking up running. I've gone for a run four times now, over the last two weeks or so. I quit my kung fu place, partly because of scheduling but mostly because I wasn't comfortable with their safety precautions.

So I needed some other form of exercise and tried running. Which makes me laugh--I tried fighting, now I'm working on running, I figure I have a better chance that way! But it's been nice, actually. Just a little bit at a time, but I've been able to run farther / longer (before switching to a walking break) each time.

Running was kind of a nightmare for me as a young person. We would do "conditioning" every fall in gym class, which meant running six laps around the track, a total of 1.5 miles. I was terrible at it and felt like such a disgusting fool. The gym teachers were not very sympathetic and would make fun of people for walking for a while or for how hard we were breathing. Also I turned a deep red that one of my (sort of) friends at the time labeled purple. I still turn red when I work hard, it's just how I roll. I'm fine with that now.

Anyway after that I never imagined taking up running but here I am, giving it a go and enjoying the feeling so far. It's nice to reclaim something that was so mixed up with bodily shame before.

And finally: new post up on MacCool Uncensored. Per yesterday's post, e-mail me if you want the password.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I want the password! I can't figure out how to email you though? Mine is souperjen24 at comcast dot net :)

Dawg said...

Running is great stress relief. Your endurance will come in time. Keep at it!

PS - of course I want the password, I've been lurking for awhile
dirtydawgpaws@gmail.com

greg said...

Everyone seems to be on this running kick lately - good for you!

I almost passed out at the gym last night. The instructor was relentless and I felt like such a failure because I looked like a disaster trying to keep up. Some days are just tough. Luckily I didn't have a "friend" there to call me purple. jerk.

Tina-cious.com said...

Wait, you aren't going to tell us what their safety precautions WERE?? Yer killin' me here!!

I used to LOVE to run. It felt like flying.

I gotta get back to that place someday where I pick up these legs again...

LilliGirl said...

Yay for running...I'm taking it back up when it gets colder. I love running in January. Cold mornings in solitude with time to think. I love when I hit the 3 mile mark with ease. You can do it. And it will feel great. :)