Thursday, 25 June 2009

Fluff Observation

One of my e-mail accounts has recently featured many ads that are variations of the claim that, by mixing two products, you will be able to cure ordinary complaints such as yellow teeth or stretch marks. Often the ad claims that a "mom" discovered she could effect this remedy on her own.

Does this remind anyone else sharply of the Lily Tomlin movie, "The Incredible Shrinking Woman," which features the fabulous Tomlin as a mom who starts shrinking due to the freak chemical interaction of Galaxy Glue and some other thing?

I loved that movie with a rare passion as a small child. We had a tape of it and I would ask to watch it over and over again, the only movie or show I did that with, as far as I can recall. I guess I had some gaydar even at four.

And you could psychoanalyze even further, no doubt: get rid of excess femininity using two common household products! This mom figured out how! But the sun is finally out and I'm not quite in that sort of mood.

Instead, let's give it up for Lily Tomlin. And let's not start mixing random household substances just because Yahoo says it's a good idea...

5 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I've never seen the film!

Oh I'm all for mixing random household substances. Sometimes they create quite a bang. ;)

ladybrettashley said...

haha, that last sentence reminded me - me and jake had a running joke-thing whenever we thought the other was doing something really stupid: "if the internet told you to [insert stupid thing], would you do it?!" the original version was based on some google-based "solutions" for yeast infections. (i'm sure that was tmi, sorry.)

greg said...

In the spirit of giving up for Lily Tomlin, I will confess my love for "I Heart Huckabees". She was great in that movie.

em said...

I love it that you used the word effect there. I'm a word geek that way.

KraftyKay said...

I loved that movie as a child too. I'm convinced it gave me my irrational fear of the garbage disposal.