Monday, 8 June 2009

Back from Mercury

I'm bouncing back, it seems, from a trough. This trough was so bad I was almost paying attention to remarks I saw around online about Mercury being in retrograde until June 7. That's it, I thought. It's that damn Mercury.

Which, I don't know, maybe there's truth in that. Any astrologically inclined readers? I'm yours to persuade. But Mercury or not, the fact of the matter is that my mojo was grievously injured by a rough weekend with my family-of-origin. I'm seriously considering starting a password-only blog just to vent about stuff that's too private for the general internet but amenable to that special dynamic of blogs that gets me to sit down and actually write about stuff. Which is good for me, at least, and maybe sometimes entertaining for visitors here, too.

Anyway, on the drive up to the weekend, I felt alive and strong. My radio-sing-along version of Bohemian Rhapsody was virtuosic. I thought there was nothing I could not handle. But once I was back home, I sank into a proper funk.

This past weekend, though, was an excellent dispeller-of-funks. On Saturday morning, I went to softball practice, then to coffee. I flyered for a queer event (hi thisfrozenlake!) and when I got home, FG and I decided to stay in and--what was it Jess used to call it? Oh yeah, we reconnected and had some nice bonding time. ('Cuz you know, hugs are the best cure for stress, of course.) And eventually we got really hungry and we went out for ice cream and got burrito-makings for a late dinner. The next day, I had a softball game. We were slaughtered, as usual. But! FG was there, cheering us on, and I caught a fly ball for the very first time. There was more lazing about, some chores, and the weekend was capped off by FG making a brilliant blueberry coffee cake.

As I ate it, I felt so glad just to be alive, with this woman beside me. I realized that I'm hardly reading fiction this days, just because my own life is interesting enough. And maybe I've had enough of the days when my motto was "People say life is the thing, but I prefer reading." [Logan Pearsall Smith] Life is the thing, especially when the mojo is finally back.

8 comments:

Jess said...

Welcome back Leo! Glad to see you got your Mojo back and bonded! ;)

Oh and awesome on the 1st catch!

ladybrettashley said...

oh my, i remember when that quote was my motto. but i'm with you now - life is the thing. also, *hug*

QueerRose said...

Hi Leo. Glad you've got your mojo back. I am astrologically inclined so maybe it was Mercury messing with me too. My mojo is on it's way back - maybe a slice of that blueberry cake would help?! Writing this to you thinking about the kind words you left over at mine, with Gertie snoozing next to me. With love QRx

Tina-cious.com said...

Congrats on the fly ball!

Sorry your family funkdified ya. But glad you've got a good woman (and good quality time) to bring you back. :)

greg said...

I feel like I might be in a bit of a funk lately and it makes me feel better reading about you getting out of yours. Yay for the return of the mojo!!

Miss Emily said...

Glad your mojo is back. And I've missed your posts! I understand about the password only blog..I decided on an entirely separate blog for that purpose and I mentioned a particular keyword that came up in a friend's search, so HELLO visibility.

Anyway, glad you had some good food and bonding time. That's always a good cure. Hope the mojo keeps!

Shazbat said...

The small things in life make it the most goddamn perfect. Digging vegetables, stroking the cat, lying in my lover's arms - all of these give a sense of peace and contentment that cannot be replicated by the biggest fireworks display.

Although fireworks do rock.

Anyway, in a roundabout way, I'm trying to say - glad you're feeling better. Congrats on the catch.

LL Cool Joe said...

Good for you Leo! Yep when real life is good, who needs to escape into a world of fiction?