Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Props to the Single Parents

I'm almost done with the house-sitting gig here. Fish still mouthing along at me, so nothing new to report there. I've been doing this mostly solo, with FG spending occasional nights, but mostly it's been my thing. (Which I can't complain about since I want to spend all the money I'm earning, too! Starting with some car-fixin' wrenches...)

One thing that's occurred to me more than once is how insanely hard it must be to be a single parent living on their own with kids. I'm a big animal lover, and these are nice ones, too. They have their own quirks but they're good critters. But when the dogs start whining to go on their morning walk and it feels like about ten minutes since I went to bed... or when they just. won't. stop. barking at the mysterious raccoon or zombie or whatever lives in the tree outside at night, I feel seriously on the verge of losing it. And I think, well, it's just for x more days, it's ok. And I keep it cool. But honestly, single parents of the world? You have my admiration. You always did, but now you really, really do. (I know dogs are not the same as kids. But frustration and sleeplessness and housebound isolation... there are some similarities in those experiences, I think.)

I made my own jambalaya last night! Round of applause for Chef MacCool? To be honest, it was just a jambalaya mix plus veggie sausages but still I feel pleased with myself. It even tasted good. And on the topic of food, does anyone else love the hot cross buns that they sell in the grocery stores this time of year? I've had posh ones and foreign ones but the New England grocery store ones rock my world.

Time to take the dogs for a walk. I'll try to write again before *next* Wednesday.

6 comments:

Tina-cious.com said...

I find that my dogs are far more frustrating than my kids. LOL

Dawn on MDI said...

ooooohhhh... wrenches! Talk dirty to me!
looking forward to reading of your automotive repair adventures!

twoladiesinwaiting.com said...

I find that having a pup with health problems (and general "bad boy" issues) is excellent birth control. The Bod's presence in our lives, as wonderful as it is, drove our kid wishlist from three to one offspring in six months flat.

LL Cool Joe said...

I give a shout out to ALL parents, whether single or not! It's the most demanding role I've ever had in my life.

At one stage we had two cats, 2 fish and a hamster as well. And as demanding as they were, nothing compares to 24/7 attention that kids require!

LilliGirl said...

I'm with ya Joe and it gets tricky when the pets outnumber the kids...Though I've done it both ways and sometimes think single parenting is actually easier.

Maria said...

I have both a dog and a child and I swear the dog will give me gray hair before my daughter will...plus I always have to worry about his behavior in public, something I long ago stopped worrying about with Liv.