Wednesday, 7 January 2009

A Whole Week

... into the new year, and no new post from me. And it's not that I haven't been up to things. Here's a random bullets update of all the excitement 2009 has offered up so far.
  • I got sick. I can't really complain, it's been like over a year since I was sick. But I felt plenty bad for myself, what with all the sneezing and coughing and general grossness. I hate being sick.
  • Being sick meant that I completely flaked out on the New Year's Eve party we were going to attend. It was really cold and snowy here that night and I just wasn't up to the walk to the subway and all of it. I didn't get my midnight kiss because I was asleep. But before we fell asleep, there was a whole lot more than kissing. There's something to be said for staying in (bed) on New Year's Eve.
  • I attended a professional conference and it went well. I'm feeling better about my profession than I have for a long while, recession be damned. There are queer and genderqueer people in my profession, I just have to put a little more effort into meeting them and connecting with them.
  • Not one but two of my professional mentors told me to be gentle with myself. Ok, universe, I get the message.
  • I hung out with Greg and her gf and some other cool folks, and we got to see Sinclair read. It was a brilliant show and a relaxing and fun evening out, marred only by my Cough that Wouldn't Quit. (Sorry, audience at Sinclair's show. The cough drops weren't working any more.) Let me tell you--Greg and her gf are fantastic, even better looking than in the pictures, and it's totally true, they rock like crazy on the karaoke.
  • I thought a lot about my gender identity (big surprise, I'm sure) after a friend suggested strongly I make use of some of the support networks etc. available for trans or gender-deviant folks in our city. She's right of course but hearing her say it was oddly touching and also disorienting. Maybe the cold medicine was making me more emotional than usual.
  • I had lots of fun wasting time with the still-on-vacation Freedomgirl. She even baked cookies today. Yesterday we did errands in the morning and in the afternoon we bonded, in the infamous words of Jess. It was a long, tough fall semester and it's awesome to be feeling so relaxed and reconnected with her. Oh yeah, and a major shoutout to her for getting us organized for my conference and our trip to New York. I'm not the greatest on planning this sort of thing, and she really stepped up to the good-partner plate. Thanks, my love.

5 comments:

QueerRose said...

Hey Leo! Happy New Year! Glad you're feeling better QRx

greg said...

Thank you for your sweet words. :) I loved looking over and seeing the two of you there, it made me giddy happy. I am still so impressed with how you hung in there - not just because of the illness but also the exhausting day you had at the conference (gf was going on and on about how tiring those things are) and then having to get up early on Sunday. You really do rock hard & your girl is special beyond words - I adore you two.

Tina-cious.com said...

hmm... is that what Jess is calling it these days? LOL

Sorry we didn't make it out to hang out with you guys (and GREG and GF :)

Plan another one for this weekend, OK?

Glad you're feeling better! :)

LL Cool Joe said...

I thought you wrote "Ok, universe, I get the massage." That would be a hell of a massage.

Sorry. I'm glad you are feeling better, and had some fun along the way too.

I think I've got your bug coming on now. I do hate it when people cough non stop in public places!! ;)

Sublimefemme said...

Ah yes, the dreaded post-MLA cold. Same here, except I came down with mine on Jan. 2. Still can't get rid of the damn thing.

Be well,
SF