Saturday, 13 September 2008

Clothes That Matter: A Very k.d. Sequel

At the risk of the turning my blog into a Judith Butler & k.d. lang fan site (not that that would be a bad thing, of course), I present you with the following videos. They're from around the same time, the mid-1980s, back when k.d. was the lead singer of the ReClines and I was in elementary school.

To my eyes, there's a huge contrast between the two videos (apart from the fact that Lemming Polka just rocks and it's an almost flawless performance, too). The level of confidence, of comfort, hell, just watch the videos for posture alone--k.d. alternately looks like she's ducking a blow or about to be violently ill in portions of "Hanky Panky". And the real kicker? Keep an eye out for the cowboy in red in the middle of "Hanky Panky". Yeah, clothes matter.

And k.d. lang is the best. And I'm going to see her. TWICE (thank you Jess & Tina!). I'm so darn excited.

OK, so, first, "Hanky Panky":


Now take a deep breath (if you're like me, you need one). Sit back and enjoy the awesomeness of "Lemming Polka":


And lest anyone think I'm picking on k.d. here, I offer proof that I understand: I wore a lot of skirts in the mid-1980s, too.

9 comments:

Holden said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Leo. I have both of these on a (well worn!) VHS video along with some other kd classics. And you're right there is a huge contrast.

We recently saw her and she was fucking brilliant, better than I ever imagined. I have no doubt you'll have a fab time.

femmeismygender said...

Leo - I think you should dare Holden to post an 80's photo of herself too :-) x

hussyred said...

you know, k.d. lang gets hotter and hotter to me the older i get. granted, k.d. lang in a skirt isn't exactly my thing, but the glasses she's wearing in that video? hotness! younger, she reminds me of my undergraduate women's studies adviser except there was a lot more flannel and nerdery.

appple said...

something about the western appeal of the green suit reminds me of jake gyllenhal in brokeback mountain. amazing!

saintchick said...

KD Lang is beyond hot. Can you tell I have a serious crush on her. Please update after you attend her concert. SO I can be pouty and jealous.
(psst thanks for your kind words, they mean allot coming from u)

Sublimefemme said...

apple: I thought of Jake in Brokeback, too! I think it's the sexy black hat ;-)

leo: this reminds me that I wanted to respond to you re the JB discussion. I'll go back and leave a follow-up comment on that now.

Jess said...

LOL You look pissed off in that pic. I have pics like that too. I used to take off my dresses and run around in my underoos. LOL

I can't wait to see kd too. :)

Belle said...

Honey. This just makes me laugh because it reminds me of dancing with you that night. LOL. I love the pic!

MLC said...

She's such a great talent - when she sings "The Valley" on her album "Songs of the 49th Parallel" it just kills me it's so beautiful.

janet